In Florida, roof leaks are not entirely unexpected but they are definitely not welcome. Before you can fix a leak, you must first find out the cause. The age of a roof can greatly impact how susceptible it is to damage, but there are other factors at play. Between hurricane-force winds and torrential rain, there are many reasons why you may need a repair.
While some issues have simple causes and solutions, others may go deeper than the shingles. Many homeowners attempt to do roof leak repairs on their own, but this can create even larger problems. When it comes to your roof, you should always seek professional help to address the damage.
Causes of Roof Leaks
While you may be surprised to find a leak in your roof, the underlying cause could be a long-developing one. There are many signs to look out for, including factors such as:
- Ceiling stains or discoloration
- Backed up gutter systems
- Missing or damaged shingles
- Mold growth on walls
Finding the source of a leak may be trickier than noticing it in the first place. When many homeowners see ceiling damage, their initial inclination is to go up onto the roof and find the cause. However, this process can require a great deal of investigation considering roofs are made up of many different materials.
Here are some of the most common causes of leaks:
- Age: Most shingle roofs last 10 to 15 years before they need to be replaced. If you have an older roof, leaks may be a sign that you should have it inspected for a possible replacement.
- Tile or shingle damage: When wind or rain damages the shingles on a roof, it can cause water to seep beneath the underlayment. You should repair them straight away to prevent leaks from growing in size.
- Gutter issues: If your gutters are clogged, they can cause water to back up onto the roof. Sometimes you can simply clear out the gutter system to ensure that it does not perpetuate a leak.
- Flashing problems: Flashing is a metal material that guides water away from key areas like chimneys and valleys. Cracks in the flashing can weaken vulnerable points on the roof.
You may be able to identify some of these problems on your own, but many of them cannot be fixed easily without the proper tools and knowledge.
Hiring an Expert
It can be tempting to attempt a roof leak repair by yourself. However, this can often lead to more issues that will require additional repairs. Your best option is to hire an expert to fix the problem before it turns into something more costly or hazardous.
A professional will be able to determine the root cause of a leak and know exactly how to address it. They will have the manpower, tools, and craftsmanship to ensure that it stops. This allows for the repair of any internal cosmetic damage (water stains, peeled paint, etc.) without having to worry about a recurrence of the leak.
If you are in the central Florida area, our team at The Roof Guys has the experience and skills necessary to make proper roof leak repairs. Contact us today for more information or to schedule an appointment.